The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

FIVE OKAY & INFINITE STARS

OKAY?
OKAY

There are almost 33000 reviews of this book. Why do I try to write one? I just don’t know but I do know that I have to let you know my thoughts about this AWESOME book.

I love YA. Even if I take YA holidays sometimes and stop reading it I can’t deny it’s one of my fave genres. This book and Forbidden are probably my favourite YA books and right now I cannot decide which one is my absolute favourite.

I knew about this book, I knew how it ended and I thought I couldn’t read it because the story was kind of personal for me but I will talk about that after my review.

This is the story of Hazel Grace & Augustus Water. Hazel has cancer and she meets Augustus at Support Group. They are ADORABLE. Hazel is the teen I always wanted to be: intelligent, funny, a great daughter and a very strong kid.

There is only one thing in this world shittier than biting it from cancer when you’re sixteen, and that’s having a kid who bites it from cancer

And Augustus… well, he’s just then teen boyfriend I always wanted to meet: charismatic, positive, funny, happy and a GREAT best friend.

”I enjoy looking at beautiful people, and I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence”

Hazel Grace is just like us, she loves books and she specially loves her favourite book “An Imperial Affliction” by Peter Van Houten who happens to be her best friend, but let’s say this is a one-sided friendship. I also want a lot of authors to be my friends!

She tells Augustus about the book and he obviously reads it because he would do ANYTHING for Hazel Grace.

”Love is keeping the promise anyway”

Enter Isaac, Augustus’ best friend. He’s the best friend I always wanted to have. A romantic, a fool romantic who has cancer in his eyes…

This book is about love, friendship, fight, hope and life. And about infinites

As I mentioned, Hazel is obsessed with Peter Van Houten. Apparently he never finished his book An Imperial Affliction so she decides to mail him asking for answers. Because as she said, authors shouldn’t end their books if they’re not finished, right? I am gonna do the same with some authors…

And of course, if you ever do decide to write anything else, even if you don’t want to publish it, I’d love to read it. Frankly, I’d read your grocery list.

I might have mentioned that to one of my favourite M/M authors. I am pathetic!

The days go by and Hazel and Augustus cannot stay away from each other and their relationship is soooooo freaking sweet. OMG, I am in love with Augustus Waters, he’s probably the BEST book boyfriend EVER.

”Oh my God, stop flirting with me!. We both know that okay is a very flirty word. Okay is BURSTING with sensuality”.

I just loved how the author made me laugh so much. I mean, I was reading a book about kids with cancer, I wasn’t supposed to be laughing but I did. I did because those damn characters camped in my heart and they are planning to stay there forever.

”It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you”.

And you feel you’re discovering love for the first time with them all over again. Like true love, that kind of love that comes from a friendship. A love that is not based on how hot you are but how interesting you are. A love that is based in understanding each other, in accepting that we are grenades that can explode, in being there for each other no matter what.

This is probably one of the best and most real love stories I’ve ever read in my entire life. I will never EVER forget this book, I actually ordered the paperback as I need to smell the book, I need to hug Hazel and tell her she’s my new best friend even if this is also a one-sided friendship. I need to tell Isaac that his special person is going to come to his life one day and he’s gonna know what real love is.

I need to hug Hazel’s father and tell him I freaking LOVE him because he reminded me of my father. A lot of families should take Hazel’s family as an example. You need to give love if you want to receive love and that’s what this family did.

”The world is not a wish-granting factory”.

And even if the world is not a wish granting factory you cannot stop believing that good things will come because they will. You just need to be positive and enjoy what you have, enjoy every single second with the people you love just like Hazel & Augustus did.

”You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices. I hope she likes hers.”.

***The below is not about the book, is about my life, you might not want to read it but I have to say this***

That man on the picture was my best friend for almost 19 years, the man of my life, my half, the person who will be my example until the last day of my life. The person who taught me that reading was one of the best experiences in life. The BEST father ever!. His lungs didn’t keep their shit together, as Hazel would say and he left us three months after being diagnosed with cancer (almost 12 years ago).

While we were with chemo, and I say we because I used to go with him every Monday, I met a kid who was way too young to have cancer. I couldn’t understand why kids had cancer, it wasn’t fair.

Once my father was gone I wanted to get something positive about that horrible experience so I started volunteering with an association that helped kids with cancer: AVOI.

The guy who started this association had a kid with cancer who died and he decided to create this association to help families in that situation. He is an example for me. It wasn’t my moment anyway because everything was very fresh and I couldn’t help but think about my father every time I was with those kids and it’s hard when you go back week after week and there are some kids that are not there anymore…

This book reminded me of that association. Life sucks sometimes but while you can, get the best of it. Tell your friends and family you love them, don’t assume they know you love them. Enjoy every single second with them because one day, death will take them or will take us.

I will give years of my life for one more evening with my dad, to hear his voice one more time so PLEASE show your love and enjoy your family and friends while you can.

I don’t want you guys to feel sad about my story because I was lucky, I got to have the BEST father ever and that’s something that makes me happy…